Living in Canada means a lot of things. To highlight what this could mean for a Singaporean: it could mean a high minimum wage, the benefits of having rights at work in any workplace, and it could mean equality, regardless of your race, religion, or sex.
Canada will welcome over 1.23 million foreigners over the next three years, it just shows that there are plenty of job opportunities waiting for you.
Learn how to immigrate to Canada from Singapore
Express Entry is an online immigration system that allows you, as a foreign skilled worker, to become a Canadian permanent resident through three federal immigration programs. They are:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program.
- Canadian Experience Class.
The Express Entry system contributes 332,750 invitations to apply (ITAs) to the government’s goal of over 1.23 million with 108,500 ITAs issued this year alone. The Express Entry system is one of the most important points of entry for immigration to Canada. As a potential skilled worker, you’ll benefit from a quick six-month turnaround time. This means you could be about to live and work in Canada sooner than you think.
How can I immigrate to Canada with the Express Entry system?
If you meet the Express Entry conditions, only then will you be able to create an online profile. You will need the following to complete the profile:
- Your passport or travel document;
- Education credential assessment report;
- Language test results;
- Certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory (if you have one);
- Proof of work experience (if you have one); and
- Provincial Nomination (if you have one).
You will have 60 days to complete the online profile, it is best to try to complete it earlier as this might work in your favor based on the tie-breaker rule which states that if more than one candidate has the score below, the leave is based on the date and time they submitted their Express Entry profiles.
All eligible applicants will be placed in the Express Entry pool where they will receive a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score which will determine their ranking. You will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) if you meet or score above the CRS Qualifying Score. Receiving an ITA would mean that you have the option to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Benefits of the Express Entry system:
- You can stay in the pool if you aren’t successful the first time around. You can improve your CRS score during this time to increase your success rate for the next draw.
- Everything is online, making it easily accessible to you.
- There are several ways to improve your CRS score, including applying with your common-law partner or spouse.
Large numbers of Canadians retire each year, which means they need for skilled workers is increasing. This makes it easy for skilled workers and professionals to become permanent residents. Applying through the Federal Skilled Trades Program through the Express Entry system is a great way to immigrate to Canada from Singapore.
Federal Skilled Trades Program
The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) allows you, as a foreign national with work experience in qualifying commercial jobs, to immigrate to Canada.
What are the requirements of the Federal Skilled Trades Program?
- Meet the required language levels for each language ability;
- Have at least two years of full-time work experience or equivalent part-time work;
- Meet job requirements for skilled trade set out in the NOC; and
- Have a valid job offer for a period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in the specific skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupation Classification (NOC):
|National Occupation Classification Categories|
|Major Group 72||Industrial, Electrical, and Construction Trades|
|Major Group 73||Maintenance and Equipment Operation Trades|
|Major Group 82||Supervisors and Technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production|
|Major Group 92||Processing, Manufacturing and Utility Supervisors and Central Control Operators|
|Minor Group 632||Chefs and Cooks|
|Minor Group 633||Butchers and Bakers|
Business Immigration Streams
Immigrating to Canada from Singapore through the business immigration program is a very good idea. This is due to the pandemic which has affected every economy in the world, including Canada. Opening a business in Canada means that you will be contributing to the growth of the economy, which is a factor that will benefit your success rate when moving to Canada.
The programs included in the commercial immigration streams are:
- Self-Employed Program;
- PNP Entrepreneur Visa Streams;
- Start-up Visa; and
Start-up Visa Program
The Starter Visa program will allow you to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. The program is aimed at entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to start a business in Canada. Your business needs:
- Be innovative;
- Create jobs for Canadians; and
- Be able to compete on a global scale.
To be eligible for the Start-up program you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a qualifying business;
- Have a letter of support from a designated organization;
- Meet the language requirements, and
- Have enough money to settle and live in Canada before you make money from your business.
If you have family members living in Canada, family sponsorship could be your way of living and working in Canada.
Family sponsorship allows Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act of Canada, and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor their family members. In this article, we take a closer look at spousal and child sponsorship.
Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner, or child?
You’re eligible if:
- You’re 18 years and older;
- You‘re a Canadian citizen, person registered under the Canadian Indian Act, or permanent resident of Canada
- You can prove that you aren’t receiving social assistance unless it’s for a disability; and
- You can provide for the basic needs of whoever you’re sponsoring.
Who can eligible persons sponsor?
Those eligible to sponsor may sponsor the following family members:
- Their spouse;
- Common-law partner;
- Their conjugal partner; and
- Their dependent children.
A major benefit of receiving a sponsorship is that you are able to move to Canada as a permanent resident.
Below are the allocated sponsorship fees:
|Family Sponsorship Fees|
|Sponsor your spouse or partner||$1,050|
|Sponsor your spouse or partner without the right of permanent residence fee||$550|
|Sponsor a dependent child||$150 per child|
|Include any dependent child||$150 per child|
Living Simple in Canada
Many Singaporeans choose to move to Canada to live a more relaxed and homely life. Of course, there are plenty of bustling cities in Canada, like Toronto, for those days when you are losing momentum. One of the difficulties faced by Singaporeans is the high price of rent. The good news is that rent in Canada is about 48% cheaper than in Singapore.
Beyond Canada’s affordability, the country is also home to some of the world’s best universities, world-class healthcare, and is known for its work-life balance. Make sure you have more time for your family and the things that matter most to you.