There are several visa options when you plan to come to Canada. If anything, this might be the best time to do it, as the Canadian government tries to meet its goal of welcoming over 1.23 million foreign nationals as permanent residents.
When you live and work in Canada you can expect to be in a country that is among the 10 safest countries in the world, knowing that you are in a place where everyone is treated equally without distinction. race, religion, or gender, and enjoy a better standard of living in general.
In this article, you will find out how to apply for a Canadian visa from Brazil and enjoy the benefits mentioned above and more.
Canadian Visa Options
Over 100 visa and immigration options are available to you. Which path you choose ultimately depends on your intentions in Canada. Here are the main visa options.
- Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA);
- Study Permit;
- Work Visa; and
- Permanent Visa.
1. Electronic Travel Authorization
An Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires. Brazil can use an eTA from May 1, 2017.
This type of visa can be used when you want to visit family or friends in Canada.
Benefits of an eTA:
- You can apply online;
- It only takes a few minutes to receive approval, although some may take several days if documents need to be submitted;
- It only cost $7 CAD; and
- You don’t have to carry around extra documents as the eTA is linked to your passport electronically.
This only applies to citizens of Brazil who have had a Canadian visa within the past 10 years or who currently have a valid nonimmigrant visa from the United States. Those who do not meet these criteria will still need to obtain a visitor visa.
2. Study Permit
Canada is home to some of the best universities and colleges in the world. The University of Toronto is currently ranked 26th in the world. Anyone planning to study in Canada needs a study visa, this visa also allows you to work as a part-time student. The study permit is valid for the duration of your program plus an additional 90 days. With those extra days, you have time to find a job in your field and apply for a work visa.
How do I apply for a study permit?
When applying for the Canadian study permit you’ll need the following:
- An acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI);
- A valid passport or travel document; and
- Proof you can finance yourself and any family members who go with you, while in Canada.
There are some cases in which you’ll need to submit the following:
- A letter of explanation;
- A certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if studying in Quebec;
- A custodian declaration, if you’re a minor; and
- Other documents you may need depending on your country.
The means by which you can apply is entirely up to you, it can be done by mail or online. However, be sure to apply before traveling to Canada. If your application is approved, you will also receive an eTA, as the study permit alone is not a visa.
As a citizen of a country that is part of the Student Direct Stream, you can receive your study permit much faster. The application process can be as quick as 20 calendar days.
3. Work Visa
Any foreign citizen must need a work visa to work and live in Canada. There are two main types of work permits:
- Employer-specific work permit – this permit allows you to work in Canada under specific conditions usually limiting the worker to one employer and position.
- Openwork permit – this permit will allow you to have any job in Canada, in any province or territory. It also means you are exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
A Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that proves that there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents capable of occupying a certain position. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.
Work visa eligibility:
Although each work permit has its own requirements, there are general requirements that are needed to apply for a Canadian visa to Brazil. These are:
- Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when their work permit expires;
- Show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home;
- Obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (IRCC may ask applicants to give a police clearance certificate);
- Not be a danger to Canada’s security;
- Be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed;
- Not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
- Not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages; and
- Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove the applicant can enter the country.
4. Permanent Resident Visa
There are several programs that allow foreigners to become permanent residents of Canada. The Express Entry system is one such program. The Express Entry system is an online immigration system that manages potential skilled foreign workers through three federal immigration programs. They are:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program.
- Canadian Experience Class.
If you are eligible for Express Entry, you will be placed in a lottery pool with other applicants where your profile will receive a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score which will determine your ranking. If you meet or exceed the CRS Qualifying Score, you will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA), which means you have the option to apply for permanent residence in Canada.